When we believe someone has lived their life to the fullest grief tends to be less. What you describe in your reflection is anticipatory grief where if someone is sick for a long period of time you have the opportunity to say your goodbyes and have some closure prior to that person dying. Ryan, I do believe that you have grown accustomed to being around death as you do work with a population that is closer to their end of life. I do caution you not to become "too hardened" as you still should be sympathetic, if not, empathetic to the profound grief that can come along with death for those that are left behind. I have worked with the elderly population for all of my career and I still remember, with a pang, a couple individuals who died who were patients of mine. I believe that this reminds me to treat those who are still alive with respect, dignity and kindness as you never know what kind of impact that they will have on your own life. Those patients of mine - one was ornery as heck and the other full of laughter and joy and I learned different things from each of them.
When we believe someone has lived their life to the fullest grief tends to be less. What you describe in your reflection is anticipatory grief where if someone is sick for a long period of time you have the opportunity to say your goodbyes and have some closure prior to that person dying. Ryan, I do believe that you have grown accustomed to being around death as you do work with a population that is closer to their end of life. I do caution you not to become "too hardened" as you still should be sympathetic, if not, empathetic to the profound grief that can come along with death for those that are left behind. I have worked with the elderly population for all of my career and I still remember, with a pang, a couple individuals who died who were patients of mine. I believe that this reminds me to treat those who are still alive with respect, dignity and kindness as you never know what kind of impact that they will have on your own life. Those patients of mine - one was ornery as heck and the other full of laughter and joy and I learned different things from each of them.
ReplyDelete